Autophagy is a very important ‘quality control mechanism’ for cleaning up and protecting the cell from injury and disease. Studies indicate that enhanced autophagic activity has been reported to promote beta amyloid plaque (Aß) clearance in both animal and human studies.
A recent study showed that autophagy improves cognition by enhancing memory formation and reverses memory decline during aging.
The following is a list of strategies to increase autophagy and support neurological function:
- Intermittent fasting – eat within the 6 – 8 hour window. (i.e. from 1 pm to 7 pm)
- Sauna therapy up-regulates heat shock proteins. (Heat shock proteins inhibit inflammatory pathways and protect cells from injury and disease.)
- Immerse in a bath up to waistline in 40°C water for 1 hour can also up-regulate heat shock proteins.
- Deep sleep – Getting enough high-quality sleep is very important to increase autophagy.
- Cold exposure induces neuronal autophagy.
- Going back and forth between hot and cold water can stimulate autophagy.
Supplements and Foods that help promote autophagy:
- Capers (most concentrated source)
- Red onion
- Red apples
- Tomatoes (organically grown have up to 79% more than conventional)
- Brussel sprouts
- Citrus fruits
- Bell peppers
- Nuts (almonds and pistachios)
- Black tea
- Green tea
Sulforaphane – Cruciferous Vegetables, especially broccoli sprouts
- Red and white wine
Nicotinamide, active form of Vitamin B3
The initial steps of autophagy require proteolytic enzymes
Omega 3 fatty acids
Green Tea Polyphenol Catechins
Reishi mushrooms can induce autophagy.
Raw unpasteurized honey